Healthy teeth are an incredibly important part of our lives, Lane DDS is striving to help people regain their pretty smiles. Do you have a gap in your smile? No need to fear! There are a multitude of ways the dental professionals of Lane and Associates Family Dentistry use to restore your pretty smile!
Dental bridges are one of the most reliable ways to replace missing teeth, and a cantilever bridge is one of our experts’ recommendations.
What is a Cantilever Dental Bridge?
A cantilever bridge is a different kind of bridge as compared to the other dental bridges; the bridge is anchored on one strong tooth adjacent to the missing tooth. This bridgework option is used when there is only one adjacent tooth to support the bridge. This bridge is made of either ceramic and metal or entirely of ceramic that replaces the anterior missing teeth.
How Does a Cantilever Bridge Work?
The cantilever bridge works similarly to a traditional bridge, but there is one difference that the pontic in a cantilever dental bridge is fixed by a dental crown that is cemented to only one abutment tooth. For a cantilever bridge, Lane DDS only needs one natural tooth next to the missing tooth space.
A cantilever bridge works perfectly in cases where the Pontic is not receiving a great deal of stress i.e. The premolar region.
How Long Does a Cantilever Dental Bridge Last?
Did you know that a cantilever bridge requires care for it just like any dental restoration? It is imperative to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing teeth twice daily and flossing once daily to make a dental bridge last. The health of the natural teeth is important to maintain a cantilever bridge.
If proper care is provided to the cantilever bridge, it can be a very useful and effective option to replace a missing tooth.
Typically, cantilever dental bridges last about 5 – 7 years. The average longevity depends on the type of material used to make the bridge as well as your personal ambition of taking care of your oral hygiene.
The Advantages of Cantilever Bridges
The main advantages of a cantilever bridge are as follows:
- They are less invasive than the other treatment options.
- Cantilever bridges are reversible.
- Cantilever bridges are often used in the front of the mouth and look just like natural teeth.
- An affordable alternative to other kinds of bridges.
- These types of bridges have high durability if taken good care of.
- Cantilever bridges have less chance of decay in the adjacent teeth.
- They are easy to fit in the mouth and are also easy to clean.
The disadvantages of a cantilever bridge are as follows:
- If the patients do not have healthy teeth and healthy gums, then those patients are not good candidates for cantilever bridges.
- A cantilever bridge can fail if the bridges are not attached to strong teeth.
- Damage may occur to the cantilever bridge if not taken care of.
In What Cases do Dentists Recommend a Cantilever Dental Bridge?
Cantilever bridges are recommended by Lane DDS in cases such as:
- This treatment option is indicated for certain clinical situations when there are no teeth on both sides of the missing teeth.
- If the missing teeth are adjacent to the anterior part of the mouth where a tooth is present.
This teeth replacement option is not suitable in the posterior teeth due to too much pressure caused while biting down and chewing food. It is always a great idea to visit your dental specialist to decide the best teeth restoration option.
Which Teeth Can You Get One On?
There are two clinical situations when these restorations may be recommended for teeth:
- When it comes to dental treatment, it is sometimes not suitable to prepare a tooth located in a visible part of the anterior teeth.
- In the cases when the first upper premolar is missing and the canine at the front end of the space is healthy and undamaged. The expert dental team for obvious aesthetic reasons leaves this tooth untouched.
- In this situation, the expert dentists along with the highly experienced dental technicians design a cantilever bridge with the second premolar and the first molar as abutments.
There are many treatment options to restore a single tooth such as a dental implant but, understandably, the cost plays a vital role in the selection of dental treatment options. Along with the cost, a customized treatment plan is also important for treatment success and good oral health.
If you would like to know whether you are a suitable candidate for a cantilever dental bridge, schedule a consultation and meet our dental experts at Lane and Associates Family Dentistry. Our Lane DDS team is prepared to serve along with the team of well-qualified dental technicians and advanced dental technology is always prepared to serve our valued clients!